Max and Ruby are great favorites of my grandson and we love to make Max and Ruby apple pie together. No, there is not really a Max and Ruby apple pie, we just made that up. We also made up this recipe which has most of the usual ingredients, but we always include going out together to our local farmer’s market when we can to pick out the apples. How much more fun is this??
PS When apples are not in season we do the same thing at the grocery store.
Max and Ruby Apple Pie
For pie crusts we use the Pilsbury ones that come in the red package in the freezer section. We roll them out so that it seems like we are making pie crusts, which BTW I do not do anymore.
- 1/2 cup regular white sugar
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- Your taste: cinnamon and or nutmeg
- 6 to 8 apples (depending on the size of the apples and the size of your pie pan)
- Just a bit (1 or 2 Tablespoons) of butter or marg.
- Toss all ingredients gently with your hands-this is part of the fun.
Arrange apple mixture in the bottom crust and place top crust over. Pinch the edges together (this is fun too) and make slits in any design you like on top. We like to cut lightning designs in the top crust!
Bake at 400 degrees for about 50 minutes. Start to watch the crust at about 45 minutes. Pie should be light brown on top and bubbles of yummy apples should be coming up.