One of my favorite things about summer is zucchini. Yes, those big long green things are among my favorite veg. They can be used in salads, stuffed, made into breads, and pureed into any vegetable smoothie. One of my favorites is this easy recipe for Zucchini Casserole that I found a long time ago in an old cookbook. I love to share it, so here goes!
- 1 1/4 cups cracker crumbs-I like to use RITZ, but any kind will do.
- 1/4 cp. melted marg. Do not use vegetable oil!
- About 2 large zukes or 3 small. You need about 2 1/2 cups grated
- 1 cup very sharp shredded cheddar cheese-add a bit more if you like a cheesy flavor
- 1 beaten egg
- A little finely chopped red onion (Optional)
- A couple of dashes of garlic powder or salt
Combine cracker crumbs and butter but save out a bit of the crumbs for topping,. Stir together the remaining ingredients and combine all. Pour mixture into an 8 inch square baking pan and sprinkle with remaining cracker crumbs. Bake at 350 for one hour and 10 minutes or so. Tap the center to check for doneness. ENJOY, and use up your zucchini while you are at it!!